5:54 PM

Answering Questions: Chronic Pain

Posted by Shauna |

I am very fortunate because I do not have chronic pain. (Thank You, Lord!) But, as a massage therapist, I do have the opportunity to work with some of the ladies who do suffer on a daily basis.
The medical system at this place is a joke. They usually tell us that we are eating too much salt when someone is in pain. They do not give out pain medication unless you have a court ordered prescription. We can buy Tylenol & Advil on commissary.

But I do work on some of the ladies. My mom sent me a trigger point therapy book. So, depending on what guards are working - I can temporarily relieve some of the pain and stress.

I am glad that I have the medical knowledge of the body because it comes in hand. They say I have healing hands. And, although I will admit that I have good hands & have always been a good therapist - since I have been here I have started a new technique.

I do what I do in the name of Jesus. And I let Him use my hands to do the healing.

Because Jesus said: "And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name, they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people and they will get well." Mark 16:17

Note: Randi has tried to get input from other inmates dealing with chronic pain and has not been able to do so. If you are or know someone who has dealt with this, we would love to hear from you.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for responding to my question, Randi. I imagine it must be very difficult for women with chronic pain to live behind bars. The beds we see on TV look so uncomfortable, for one thing.

I wondered, too, (and maybe others have wondered the same?) whether you are expected to do a certain amount of work. And what if you don't feel well enough to work... ever?

I am glad to read of your healing hands and that you give the glory to God. I pray for you each time I read an update.