11:40 AM

My Big Ole Tough Life

Posted by Shauna |

Preface: A few weeks ago, I asked Randi to evaluate her life right now. Examine some of the "apparent" bad stuff - and dive in a little deeper to see what "good" is associated with those "bad" things. Here is what she had to say:

1. I am in jail, at the age of 26.

GOOD: If I weren't in jail, I would still be out on the streets doing and selling drugs. I would be lonely and depressed because of the drugs. That is way worse than how I feel now. I would not have God back in my life. I would still be running around with no purpose. No direction. No hope. No future.

2. I am facing anywhere from 5 to 20 years in prison.

GOOD: No matter how much time that I get - I know that is how long God has put aside for me to get my mind right. To prepare me. To teach me and to grow me. I can serve God just as well in prison as I can in the real world.

3. I am lonely, scared, bored and claustrophobic.

GOOD: Although I am lonely - I can open my Bible anytime and listen to God talk to me. I can pray anytime and talk to Him. Although I am scared, God has told me "Do not worry about tomorrow. For tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matt 6:34) He also says, "Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you the devil will put some of you in prison to test you...be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life." (Rev 2:10) So -really, I am not that scared. he usually talks me out of that one. Although I am bored - there is stuff to do. I am reading a lot. I am catching up on my sleep. I can write * arts and crafts * and play cards. **I can't find any good out of being claustrophobic. :( This room is so small and the air circulation is ... well....there is none... umm...but on Tuesday's and Saturdays, we get to go outside. So Tuesdays and Saturdays are better!

4. I have no "Alone-Time."

GOOD: Although I am not ever physically alone - EVER - I an put my headphones on and block out most of the noise. And K-LOVE usually puts me in my own little world.

5. The food sucks!

GOOD: But - on Wednesdays, we get hot dogs for lunch! And honey buns on commissary...and I have gained 20 POUNDS! Which was much needed considering, I came in here at 105lbs.

6. All I can do is wait.

GOOD: God has given me the gift of patience. Which is something that I NEVER had before. So - while I am waiting , I keep in mind that I am waiting on God. And that makes it easy to do.

"The Lord is slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you - not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

7. I have lost a lot of my best friends.

GOOD: The friends that I lost were not the ones that were good influences on my spiritual walk. The new friends I have made here ONLY want to help me grow spiritually.

8. I am away from my family.

GOOD: I was away from my family before. But now I talk to them every day! And I know now how much I miss them in my life before! And I can't wait to get out and be with ya'll!

9. I have lost a lot of my stuff.

GOOD: I wont be needing any of my stuff in here anyway! Shauna got a lot of new things and I know I will have better "stuff" in Heaven.

Wow - there are a lot of positive things to go along with my tough life! :) And there are probably a lot more. It feels really good to do this. I mean it really just made my day so much better. I wish I would have done this this morning.

Love,

Randi
10/15/2008

I encourage you all to do this today! It is so easy for us to get wrapped up in how life could be so much better and easier. I challenge you to find joy in today! Find joy in right now! Right where God has put you.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think this is something we all need to do on a regular basis. It is so easy to get turned around and think about what we don't have instead of looking at all we have been blessed with!

Debbie said...

Thank you for the reminder - we all do need to take the time and make our on list.

Unknown said...

Great post Randi :-) I am constantly amazed at your strength and feel humbled when I see God trying so hard to speak to me to see the JOY He puts in my life everyday but fail to see it because it may not be the JOY I am expecting...thanks for your post..
Know that I am always thinking about and praying for you.

Blake Clark said...

Randi, you probably don't remember me - I used to go to South MacArthur Church of Christ back in the day - but I just wanted to tell you that your blog has been such a blessing and inspiration to me. You and the women you live with are in my prayers!

Erin Clark(Binkley)